Tuesday, September 02, 2003

G’day friends. I’ve been extremely busy lately and that is why I have not been able to write much on here. But just a short while ago, I watched such a sad and depressing program on TV about AIDS and cases of Child Sex Abuse, that I really wanted to share this new knowledge of mine. It is sad, but something that I guess turning our eyes away from it will not change the reality. So here are some of the statistics that appeared in the program:

.1. One out of four Girls and one out of six Boys in South Africa are sexually abused before their puberty.

.2. One of the reasons behind such a high rate of sexual abuse in children is the large number of AIDS victims in South Africa. According to a myth, AIDS is cured if the AIDS victim has sex with a virgin.

.3. One sixth of the South African population will die of AIDS by year 2009.

.4. In one small area in South Africa alone, ten rapes took place in the last one year. The age of the victims ranged from four months to 101 years.

I know that these are shocking and distressing news. My personal way of looking at such things has gone under gigantic change over the last few months thanks to a friend. I have become more sensitive to news particularly relating to sexual abuse of children.

I feel like writing more and don’t really know how to end this. But I guess I will have to at some stage, so let this be it.

May God help all those injured souls out there..!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home