Wednesday, October 05, 2005

One day, Punjabi will be world wide (continued from October 27)

Sandhu said... (in his comments about my post on October 27 2004)
Hi!Folks,Read the interesting discussion and couldn't stop
myself writing few words.Balraj, if you been to our Parklea and Revesby
Gurudwara Sahibs, parents don't really make an effort to talk to their kids in
Punjabi. Quite a while back I went to Parklea Gurudwara and there was some kind
of competition where this girl was talking about Sikhi in English. I was happy
to know that kids are learning about Sikhi, but why not in Punjabi. If parents
can encorage them to learn about Sikhi why not Punjabi? All these bits and
pieces keep me away from Gurudwara Sahib as I feel really disturbed looking at
where the future generations are heading. I'm myslef here since last 5 years but
I feel I'm even more desi than what I used to be. More regular with my Path more
in touch with Punjabu Music, Punjabi Literature. Fer kehnde ne na Panje ungla
barabar ni hundian.

Well Sandhu 22 ji, I agree with you that parents don't make enough effort to their kids Punjabi. I however don't agree with the way you've confused religion with language. First of all, punjabi isn't the language of Sikhs alone.

Secondly, Sikhism is a global religion. The teachings of our Gurus apply to all humanity.. regardless of where they live and what language they speak. Saying that all Sikhs should/must know Punjabi will restrict the teachings of our Gurus to Punjabis alone.

I’m in opinion, we must separate the issue of Punjab and Punjabiat from Religion. This trend of connecting Punjab with Sikhism is hurting Punjab. It’s dividing our Punjabi community.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! balraj,
main 22ji ni 23 ji haan. i mean i'm a kudi.
well your opinion says that we should separate religion from language. i agree, par don't you think ki har religion dian roots ik language toon aundian ne. Eg Hinduism is rooted in Sanskrit, Islam in Arabic, Buddhism in Pali and similarly, Sikhism in Punjabi. People from west are adopting Sikhism and they feel language as a barrier to some extent. Baki tuhadi gal sahi hai ki i was confusing religion with language, par thoda ajeeb lagda apne punjabi bachain nu angrezi ch sikhism bare bolna. may be that was the root cause of my confusion.

1:11 pm  
Blogger Balraj said...

OMG.. I'm so sorry. That was such a stupid assumption to think that you were a guy. Anyway.. I'm sorry.

Now I understand what you are saying about language being the root of a religion. The connection of Sikhism and Punjabi is actually a bit opposite. Our Gurus chose Punjabi as their preferred language and Gurmukhi lipi as thier preferred script. That made Punjabi very popular. In that sense, I agree with you that we must respect the language.

On the same token, I must also say that it's a bit unfair to act like we Sikhs own this language (which is how people often act), and totally ignore Punjabis from other religions. I must remind that spiritual figures from other religions also contributed hugely to make Punjabi popular.. take Sufi Kavis for example.

So although I understand your point of view, and also agree with it to a large extent, I still say that we must not claim ownership of Punjabi. We're only hurting our own culture by doing so.

One more thing, one reason for Islam and Christianity being the two largest religions in the world is that they have adapted to wherever they have gone. So many converted Muslims in western countries practice Islam in English. Christians actually encourage reading bible, regardless of which langage it's printed in. It's the message in the book that's important.. not the language it's written in.

BTW miss, I find your views quite interesting.. so I'd like you to keep posting your comments on here. Thanks

Waheguru Ang Sang Sahayi
Balraj Singh

6:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punjabiye zubaane ni rakaane mere desh diye......fikki pe gayee chehere di nuhar ni.....meediya khilaari pire ni bulle diye kaafiye....kinne yeri lutteya shingaar ni.........

12:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ral gayee si is vich ik boond tere ishq di.......is layee mein umr di saari kurattan pi layee....

12:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home